Monday, June 27, 2011

Are you Ready?? YES I AM!

All my bags are packed... We're ready to go... Knocking loud outside the hospital door, oh won't you please let us in??ewe lah... Ewe lah... Thank  you "Armageddon" for my theme song this week..

Can you hear the boredom that has taken over my afternoons?! I have been lucky enough to sit at the front and act busy work at the school in the mornings this summer to help my busy personality pretend to still be "busy" but even "work" isn't helping time until Lucy comes go any faster... and this is my last week working.. so good luck to all that know me for the 3 weeks remaining in my pregnancy.  I'm pretty positive I'll be driving you crazy with my boredom/intense readiness for Lucy to arrive!
 From 1 pm (when I get off work) until bedtime each day... I stare at the clock. I think every move Lucy makes MIGHT be the contraction I have been waiting on! Argh! Oh! that side cramp.. it started in my back, yep. this is it! She's coming.. oh shoot... no... that was just the remote shoved into the pillow as I am being a lazy whale laying on the couch.
 I have even cooked extra special meals that take HOURS to prepare just so I can be productive and make time "go"... I mean I love to cook, and do every night but even this is a stretch for me! Today,  I went as far as to hire the neighbor to come pull weeds in our yard, WHAT? Yea.. I did.. I made him come pull weeds while I sat on the porch (ha, who am I kidding... while I sat inside in the air conditioning) and watched to make sure he was doing a good job.   I also stalk blogs to pass time... which I will get to in a moment.

I am trying not to be too hard on myself because never have I ever allowed myself to be "lazy".. I feel that in the coming weeks I'll look back and be thankful for this time that I had to rest and be by myself... but currently... I'm not a good rester- besides my 3 hour nap each day. (Literally)
  If I am being honest, I really dislike that I am in such a hurry for her to arrive... I'm trying to enjoy every second I'm blessed to carry her and have this peaceful rest time but the "mother" side of my personality is now screaming.... "come out Lucy and let me mother you"! Patience... I need you. The Lord knows I have never been great with this, and I feel he is trying once again to say: "Kristen, I am in charge... When I say it is time, it will be time! Be PATIENT". Okay Lord, yes sir.

 Now I say all that to now make you laugh at me share my recent findings from blog stalking- HA! Let me first and foremost state that yes, I am aware I have an obssession to blogs, but none the less... blog stalking has led to some interesting information and I feel I simply must pass it on.  (Caution: It is random and some even odd so just... don't judge me too harshly.)

Find #1  (Sorry in advance for the switch to "serious" mode for just a moment)

SIDS.  A thought that scares the mess out of me, and I'm sure every mother/parent that has ever existed.  I have learned so much from a woman who lost her baby to this syndrome and decided to "blog" about it and her experiences in order to inform other mothers and mothers-to-be of  SIDS preventative measures.  She is an amazingly strong individual that I have grown to admire so much! (and I don't technically even "know" her except through her blog)
Some may say I have become a little obsessed with preventative measures regarding SIDS.. and they'd be correct.  Fans in the babys room- check, breastfeeding- check (well I hope we are able to) Pacifier Baby- check (again, we're going to try).  I type this with a LUMP in the back of my throat because 100% of me believes, trusts, and loves God's plan- whatever it may be- that He has magnificently and purposefully laid out for our Lucy.  I realize that IF His plan is to call her home early, that is His plan... but at the same time... I want to be able to say that I did everything possible to "prevent" (if there is such a thing) this terrible thing (SIDS)  from happening to us and our Lucy. I am her Mommy after all and its my job to know this stuff... right?!
All that being said... here is the latest "research" I have found (thanks to many blog stalkings) regarding SIDS:
If you haven't heard that a SIDS prevention method has been 100% successful since 1989, you are not alone. Most of us have heard the results of the Back to Sleep campaign, which likes to take credit for the reduction in crib deaths across the globe. While this campaign has helped reduce crib deaths, it is not 100% effective. Only mattress wrapping has been proven 100% effective in preventing crib death. How is this possible? And WHAT is mattress wrapping?!
Mattress wrapping is based on the
toxic gas theory. The theory states that toxic nerve gases permeate from all used mattresses: crib, bassinet, adult mattresses and even sofa cushions. The gases are created when fungus grows inside the mattress (or foam) and  eats certain elements in the mattress, including phosphorus, arsenic, and antimony. Babies, especially those sleeping on their stomachs, breathe in the toxic nerve gases, which results in crib death, or SIDS.
Mattress wrapping, which is essentially wrapping the mattress in a polyethylene cover, prevents the gases from getting into the baby's breathing space. The polyethylene sheeting does not allow the gases to permeate, thereby preventing inhalation and subsequently preventing crib death.
For over 13 years of use, babies sleeping on mattresses wrapped in BabeSafe mattress covers have NOT ONCE died from crib death, also known as SIDS. This history and success of the covers helps prove the
toxic gas theory for crib death, which states that toxic nerve gases are the cause of SIDS. The BabeSafe mattress cover is made like a large pillow case that slips over your current crib mattress. You do not need to purchase a new crib or bassinet mattress to use the BabeSafe cover. Slip the cover over your mattress, and seal the open end with the tape that is attached. It's that simple! http://www.eves-best.com/babesafe-mattress-covers.htm


So yes... as your read that, and if your like me, you think... wow. Why not? Why wouldn't I purchase something as simple as a "pillowcase" that is scientifically proven and has withstood 12 years of testing in New Zealand?! So.. yes. If your wondering... Lucy's mattress will soon be wrapped (as soon as it is delivered).  It just makes sense to me.. and I am aware that it may be a $40 unnecessary purchase but its just not worth the risk in my opinion.  So take that information as you wish... I just wanted to pass it along to other "mommys to be" like me.

Find #2

Self- Inducing Labor Tips.... HAHA. (I'm back.. to "un-serious" mode)

1.  Walking: Simple... Easy... Natural.. Yes. I can do this.
I will resume my "before" pregnant routine and walk Jackson around the block (about 1 mile) each morning and night... briskly.  I may even get a wild hair and show myself at the gym!
Apparently the "brisk" part of this is the key.   Walking in general does not work... however walking BRISKLY (whatever that means) does.   *To whoever decided this works (in my mind, you are a man)... have you yourself been pregnant and tried to walk "briskly".. just curious.  I think I may resemble something more of a circus act.

2. Intimate "time" with your spouse... aka.. "doing what you did to get pregnant"... Does anyone else find it funny that the act that created this miracle is also the same act the "old wives"  recommend doing to get the "miracle" to arrive... for some reason this is humerous to me... and again... I pretty sure a man may have come up with this one.

3. Castor Oil... upon reading this I asked Colby... "What is Castor Oil?" and his response... " I think it is a kind of oil you use in lawnmowers and stuff"... Ummmm. What?  I googled (here we go again) and luckily it is not anything that motors run off of.. but rather a vegetable oil derived from the castor bean. -  Its purpose, you may ask: to induce vomitinng and ease constipation.  HA. again... WHAT? I am not supposed to have more than 150mg of caffenine per a day, nor should I not eat this and that and this and oh yea this... but to get the baby to come I can DRINK castor oil??!  Do you, my dear friends, know how this stuff supposedly works?   It acts as a stimulant to the bowels, which irritates the uterus and causes contractions.   More or less- you send your poor child into a downhill heaving contest while you, the poor mom who was already "miserable" are stationed over a toilet for unsaid amount of time BUT wah-lah.. you may (or may not) have a baby in your arms after it is all said and done.  (Lucy can just stay put if this is our only option! NO thank you)

4. Labor Cookies:  Here we have it folks... a lady came up with this one.. I assure you. 
Can't you just see it... A pregnant lady eating a dozen (or more) cookies and her husband walks in...
"Oh beautiful wife... gorgeous with my child (ha yea right)... why are you eating an entire plate of cookies?"  and she replies "Oh masculine man, so fit and muscular... because... if I eat them all... Our child will be born  today".   HAHA. I am cracking myself up with this one... really girls?  The recipe does inclue some "spices" which may or may not be a labor inducing side kick- but the whole.. spices in a cookie.. yea. I'm just not buying it.

There are many other "self-inducing" methods for those of you interested... such as eating pineapple, accupressure, massage, oh and I almost forgot: nipple stimulation (what?? why would you even.. I just can't... no.) Let me just quote this straight from the blog where it appeared:  "Are you sitting around twiddling your thumbs, waiting for baby to arrive? How about twiddling your nipples instead? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- Oh my... you can't make stuff like this up). 

Find #3  (and the last "insight" for today)
This isn't really from a "blog" but from etsy... my other favorite "stalking" addiction.
Look how PRECIOUS this outfit  photography prop is.. I totally ordered it for Lucy:   
I don't think we'll be wearing the headband so "down" on her face but rather like this:


I mean... how freaking cute is this.

We (Lucy and I) also ordered her the newborn lace romper in light pink... it is simply adorable.

Okay- thats enough of my wasting time  thoughts for one day.
I have to go do something very important... like walk around my living room (inducing labor, right?) while watching the Bachelorette. Oh and caution: Ashley if you mention Bentley's name more than 5 times tonight- I'm done with you and your show.

Love, Peace and Merriness!
 (yes I made up that word.. but merriness sounds fab-tab-u-lous to me)

She's beginning to "drop"... woo hoo!


1 comment:

  1. hahahaah castor oil, in the lawn mower, how funny is that???? the best thing for having baby NOW is the oldest best way, aske EMILY, she had rivers two weeks early.. honeymoon honey, just honeymoon. :)

    ReplyDelete