Sunday, March 13, 2011

URGENT: I can SEW!!!

Yes.. you read that correctly.  I, Kristen Mason, can officially sew! HA.  (I didn't say I was GREAT at it... but none the less.. I did it)! 
How it began.... I became pregnant! Plain and Simple. What do pregnant people do for spring break? They SEW!  (Reminder.. Spring Break officially hasn't even started until Monday (tomorrow)... and I have already completed all of this- see pictures below).  I remember the days of "Wild and Crazy Spring Break 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007...etc... and even last year.. my bachelorette party Spring Break 2010- ahh... but alas, 2011... and my life has brought me to this: Spring Break 2011: Sew-a-thon! WHOOO HOOO. PARTY! Come on, you know you want to join me and Lucy. *Colby missed our sewing fun due to "Turkey Season" opening this weekend- I know he was so sad... (heheh)

I say all the above sarcastically,of course, I really am delighted to have time and relaxation to myself for a week off of work! Lots of fun projects on my to-do list!
One "to-do" I have already completed was starting Lucy Katherine's scrapbook... It is looking good!! I have already finished the pages of our "how we found out we were pregnant" story, the "how we told" stories, our first, second, and third ultrasound pictures, and the big reveal, "Its a Girl".  I think she will love it... one day!   I can't wait for the day I get to put together the, "SHE'S HERE" page!!!

Back to sewing, I truly have always "wanted" to sew.  My grandmother (Mamaw) sewed all the time and made us so many cute things growing up- I remember going to visit and making outfits to wear the rest of the summer! It was a blast.  So here I find myself on the brink of  "mommyhood" and *gasp* I won't be a good mommy if I cannot sew things for  my sweet Lucy! So I decided I'd learn... teaching myself of course because my Mamaw is 11 hours away in Florida, and did I really want to sign up to take a class.. nope, not yet anyway!  So down I sit with the sewing machine on Friday morning at 8:15am (we were off school) with my cute new fabric from Hobby  Lobby... and by 10:00 I had the machine taken apart (literally, I was reading the "maintenance" page of the handbook) and nothing was sewn together... who to call?? Daddy, because he can fix anything, that's why!  By noon- the "bobbin" (NEW TERM!) was fixed and I was on my way to sew happiness (Thanks Dad!)  
8 long sewing hours later... TA-DAH!!! I had finished making Lucy a REVERSIBLE "minky dot" blankie!!! (With ruffled trim of course...)  Did you think I'd attempt something easy!? HA! Yea Right... not me.   However, It turns out  it's pretty easy to teach yourself, once you learn how to work the machine! So here is my proof/ bragging session... I really have to say I am proud of myself... go "mommy" Kris! 
                                                                   SEE!!!??? YAYY!!

Side #2

A close- up of my great sewing ability! (Hey, I hear you laughing...)

The corners were the toughest part!


Sorry Jax... this is for LUCY.  (He is going to have to be admitted into therapy once baby arrives.. ha)

So, after the blanket was finished... Colby got home and took me out to (celebrate) eat at Vasillios, YUMMY. 
 I was so pumped and literally feeling like "I can sew anything" (well not clothes- SCARY)- but you know... other blanket type stuff. So here was my Saturday afternoon project:
Burp Cloths!
I found an online blog tutorial that taught me how to make them out of cloth diapers- who knew!?
I'm going to get these monogrammed, too.  I'll add post-monogram pics later because I think they will be precious!


Saturday morning,Colby woke at 3:00am to head to deer camp- turkey season, remember?
So before my "burp cloth" fun began... I joined my whole family for a morning outing to the Children's Museum in Jackson- can we just say, WOW?!  It truly is one of the neatest places.  Meena and Noah had a blast- we all did! Here are a few of the 100 pictures that I took... If you live around here, you must take your children, or anyone's children (in the non-kidnapping way). Just GO!

Dress Up/ Reading station!
A HUGE Scrabble game! So fun.

Preggo Sisters!  (21 wks and 23 wks)
The first picture( angle) isn't completely honest of me.. so here...okay...I'll be fair to Lucy..
I just really like the way I still looked skinny in the 1st pic! :)
And in case you still can't see... here is a close up of Lucy's baby bump at 21 wks.


I love you Baby Lucy!

Next up on my "Spring Break" to-do list...
1. 2nd coat of paint on Lucy's window sill (with Colby's help)
2. Finish  my landscape acrylic painting ( a 48"X36" canvas) for a "client"
3. Meet with Faux Finisher for Lucy's room: (furniture and crown molding: how exciting!)
4. Finish canvas acrylic painting for Lucy's room
5. Sew... something else?! A bib maybe??

Hopefully all of this will keep me from driving my amazing, wonderful husband insane from my boredom! I'm not very good at not being busy.. .as if  you couldn't tell from my list of "to-do" projects that I've created!


Tomorrow will be Monday Funday for me! Off to shop at the outlets in Vicksburg with my Mom and Sis!
I'll post pics if I find any "unbelieveable" deals!

Have a MERRY week! and for those teachers out there... Happy Spring Break 2011!!

No comments:

Post a Comment